dimanche 4 mars 2007

Usual routine





Benodet opposite. That tree in the middle is under serious threat for it's life. The one on the left is a graceful knarled Cupressus macrocarpa.

The little boat (click on the photo to see) is one of the smallest fishing boats. We keep an eye on when they return to port so that we can watch them unload their catch. Amazing how a big boat will only have a reasonably modest catch. No wonder fish is expensive.



Looking towards the peninsular of Isle Tudy. I believe Saint Tudy was a Brit, he was thrown out of England, couldn't get on with the Anglo Saxons.



A pleasant week away from the antics of the British blogs. Hidden away in my hole in Brittany. Crêpes in Pont l’Abbée and Audierne. Sauntering through the old streets of Quimper and having dinner in a fish restaurant. Aperitif in Lesconil on the port. Langoustines stacked high, bought at the local port and cooked by yours truly. Bottles of Kerné cider brut. Walks along the coastal GR. Admiration of Atlantic wall.

Stop overs in Baugé and Vannes.

All the usual stuff. Oh yes and admiring the view from the bottom of my garden. See photos above.

4 commentaires:

Louise a dit…

Don't make me jealous - I miss fish so much here!

Gigi a dit…

I love the tree photo, Richard.

There was a Saint Tudy in the 5th century but she was a Welsh virgin so she's not the same saint as yours. Maybe if she'd come to France she'd have found a bit of romance...

What, Louise? No Swiss fish?? (Try saying that ten times quickly after a few glasses)

Louise a dit…

Nope - not what I call fish, anway. No sleek bass, no metallic mackeral, no chunky cod, mmmm... even at 6 am., my mouth is watering! The Swiss go mad here for perch, which is fished in Lake Geneva - that actually is a thing of the past and 9/10th of perch here comes from Canada. I suppose there must also be some trout around, but that too will be farmed.

Fishmongers are non-existant and the poissoneries in supermarkets seemed to be filled with farmed salmon and prawns from Thailand or wherever. It is better to eat god quality frozen fish rather than the dull-eyed stuff they sell as 'fresh'!

Fortunately, in Sion there is a restaurant that does have wonderful fish and also does a plateau de fruits de mer that is splendid, so every now and then when I have acute withdrawal symptoms we go there and feast!

Bill Taylor a dit…

I'm allergic to fish and seafood so the boat and its catch are of only academic interest. But it's a lovely scene; a part of France I haven't visited. This is where they raise lamb on a very salty grass, isn't it? Or am I way off base, gastronomically and otherwise? Either way, it's certainly high on my list of places to go.